Zucchini, Feta, And Spinach Fritters With Garlic Tzatziki
For The Garlic Tzatziki:
- 1½ cups greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons dill
- Kosher salt, to taste
For The Zucchini, Feta, and Spinach Fritters:
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 3 handfuls baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herbs (dil, mint, and oregano are my favorites to use here)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for frying
- In a blender combine all of the tzatziki ingredients. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the grated zucchini in a strainer or a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt to draw out the liquid and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, wring all of the liquid out using your hands and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, spinach, feta, herbs, eggs, scallions, and garlic. Stir to mix well. Then, sprinkle in the flour and baking powder, a bit at a time, until it all is incorporated and holding together.
- Heat about 1/4 cup olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once warmed, drop 3 scoops of batter into the skillet. (Aim for about 3 tablespoons worth of batter, each) After about 30 seconds, flatten them out a by pressing them down gently with a spatula. Pan fry for about 3 minutes, and then flip to fry the other side for an additional 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place the fritters on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil, and serve warm with the Garlic Tzatziki!